How'd you sleep last night? Do you wake from the worst pain and wish you could just sleep? I lost hours last night, as I do most--from pain. Ankylosing spondylitis and scleritis doesn't stop, rest or sleep. My body is continually attacking itself-joy?!
You can't have a little AS, you either have it or not. The pain doesn't stop or go away. You can have more pain or less, but it's always there. Some folks call these flares--well, I've been in a flare since I was diagnosed, so I really don't believe I have flares. I just believe I have good days and bad. Here lately, there are mostly bad.
The scleritis in my eyes is what's the biggest concern right now--but, the reason that it's getting worse is because the meds for the AS isn't working. The progression of the AS is getting worse and unless it's controlled then other problems can occur.
Since I use this blog as education--here's a bit for those that don't know
Scleritis Signs and Symptoms:
Scleritis usually develops in one eye, but may affect both eyes together. The main symptoms of scleritis are pain and redness in the white part of the eye that may become severe. Other symptoms include the following:
- Eye pain that may involve the head and face
- Light sensitivity
- Blurred or decreased vision
- Eye redness (due to dilated blood vessels that may make the area appear darker red and take on a bluish hue.)
There are four types of scleritis:
- Diffuse Scleritis: The most common type of scleritis, involving the front half of the sclera.
- Nodular Scleritis: Small, tender nodules form on the sclera, representing generalized inflammation.
- Necrotizing Scleritis: Also known as scleromalacia perforans, this type can be very serious and may result in loss of vision.
- Posterior Scleritis: The rarest form of scleritis, involving the back part of the eye. May make the eye more susceptible to muscle problems, retinal detachment and angle closure glaucoma.
So, see I need the simponi to work--not just for my AS, but for my sceritis eye disease. It's not just arthritis--I can't loose a few pounds and feel better--this is an autoimmune arthritis disease that also can cause other diseases and yes, even death.
Other than destroying joints--all joints not just the spine--AS can cause the following--
Come on simponi work! AS has my body, but not ME!